Sunday, December 23, 2007

Joan Moves Mountains - well, almost

Joan's passion showed itself to be as simple and clear as a bell. Optimally, she should be an interior designer with a special niche. Her designs would be historically authentic. She'd work for museums or for clients wishing to accurately restore or recreate a particular time period in their homes. As so often happens upon confirmation of their ultimate passion, clients start in with the "yeah, buts." Joan's was, "Yeah, but I have a full time job, all the interior design schools are too far away for me to drive to after work and I can't afford to quit while I go to school." My reply is as always. "Don't worry about HOW to make this work. Just start taking steps in that direction AS IF there were no obstacles." I told her that a good first step might be to gather up brochures on Interior Design Schools and reading up on their requirements, etc. Joan listened and trusted.

Two weeks later, Joan called me. "You won't believe what happened. I went online to research interior design schools in my area. The school I had always wanted to attend has moved to within a block of where I work! Would you believe my first thought was another 'yeah, but?' I thought, 'Yeah, but they won't have classes in the evening and, if they did, they probably have already begun the semester and even if classes began now, they're going to be too expensive.' I decided to do as you said and ignore the 'buts.' I walked over to the school and asked. Would you believe that most of their courses are for students who have full-time jobs and they hold their classes in the evening? Not only that, but they are beginning a class for beginners next week and it isn't nearly as expensive as I thought!"

Message: If faith can move mountains, it can move an interior design school.

No comments: